For the last month on How We Get To Next, I've put together and edited a collection of articles on our relationship with chatbots. It's been a fascinating journey, resulting in the eventual conclusion that bots aren't ready for us and we're not ready for them.
As our writers began exploring the topic, it swiftly became clear that the current generation of bots isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Over and over again, we learned that the technology just isn’t there for bots to forge meaningful relationships with humans. We’re still deep in uncanny-valley territory, where the harder bots try to be human-like, the worse their inevitable mistakes appear.
Among my favourite articles we posted:
- How Bots Were Born From Spam
- I Tried Dieting With a Chatbot. I Hated It.
- Falling in Love With a Bot Is Inevitable*
- Does Siri Believe in God?*
- If You Talk to Bots, You’re Talking to Their Bosses
- The Bot Power List 2016*